Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Good Genes!

(June 2013)

Originally I thought I was just lucky to have scraped through Bolivia practically unscathed from the altitude sickness. But after reaching Peru, where altitudes are generally a lot lower, but still at the risk level of around 3000m above sea level, and seeing strong physically fit people cripple to the symptoms of altitude sickness, I have come to realize it wasn't a matter of luck but a matter of good strong genes! So thanks mom, and thanks dad!!! Don't know how anyone could survive this continent if they suffered from altitude sickness. I mean yes, there are ways to help with the symptoms, but ultimately it can really make all these treks miserable.

So my first stop in Peru was a cute little town, Arequipa, surrounded by volcanoes and other natural wonders. My main purpose for this stop was to hike through the Colca Canyon; one of the deepest canyons in the world, and to see the great Andean condors. And what a sight it was!!! With a depth of over 4000m, this canyon way exceeds the depth of the Grand Canyon in the United States by more then double! AND the CONDORS!!! I was so tempted to whip out my Avatar moves and try and ride one of these things. They were huge! The whole trek was definitely worth the 15 hour detoured bus route! However, it has definitely become apparent that no matter how amazing the trek your group really defines the memories for you. And man have I had some bad luck when it comes to these group treks. Thankfully I met a girl on the bus ride who decided to do the trek with me, so I had her for good company…but that was all. The two of us were stuck with (no offence) but old, anti-social, slow moving group members. Not to say they were bad people, not all, but after completing such an amazing days trek it would be nice to sit and chat, get to know everyone…I mean we have a few days in which we will be stuck together, we should make the most of it!! Not all go to bed before the sun even sets!! OH WELL…Claudine and I had a good time (Thank goodness she was there!!!!)


                       
                                                  









It was now time to head to one of the most anticipated cities in all of South America; Cusco. Not only was I finally going to hike Machu Pichu, but I was meeting up with a group of friends to do it! (Ensuring that I would at least have SOME awesome people to share this trek with!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment