Friday, May 4, 2012

Amritsar

India is FULL of little games! One can very easily keep themselves entertained while walking from point A to point B. Try to guess how many times you'll get asked if you want a rickshaw, or how many times you'll get someone saying "hello" and try to start a conversation with you, or how many tourists you'll spot along the way, how many times someone will try and sell you something, and if you're feeling VERY daring, try and count how many honks you'll hear, etc...(the list could go on forever!) So long as you're in a good mood these little annoyances can make for quite some fun! That being said it IS still an annoyance! One which can't ALWAYS be fun and entertaining, no matter how hard you try!

Now as for Amritsar...I LOVE this strange little city. There's not much to do here other then visit the Golden temple! But it is so breathtakingly beautiful and so peaceful you can easily spend hours there. And its not the kind of place you just visit once! I spent a few days there and never felt bored :) I love how welcoming this temple is. ANYONE can enter, eat or even sleep (if you so wish) for free! All they ask is you be respectful, wash your feet and cover your head. Simple as that!:)

On my second evening here I witnessed one of the strangest events I have ever seen. The closing of the border ceremony between India and Pakistan! Everyday at sunset crowds of hundreds gather to sing and dance and watch the guards marching performance as they close the gates and take down the flags. I couldn't believe the amount of people that come to this! This isn't a one sided event either! Both Pakistan and India chant and march and witness this strange event. It felt as if I had attended a sporting event by accident? I'm not really sure what the purpose of such a performance is, or why it is such an event EVERYday but it was definitely worth it!

Now I'm making my way into the desert! Next stop...Jaipur.

No comments:

Post a Comment