Friday, April 20, 2012

Here and There

It was sad to leave Hampi! Its the first time since I've been in India that I really felt comfortable and at home! I could easily have spent a few more weeks there:) Its so nice and peaceful, which is rare in a country where honking your horn every second is part of driving! But after a while I finally booked my first train ticket to Banglore!

I was so excited to take a train! Everyone's told me its so much more comfortable and the views are amazing! Its a must do in India! Well...if by comfortable they were referring to the wood plank bed too close to the ceiling to sit up then they were right! Ugh...SO comfortable...Thankfully I'm small enough to fit on these beds, I feel sorry for anyone taller then me!
Once all settled on my plank bed I realized I was lucky enough to have NO window! So there goes my view of the landscape! I did, however, have a bed facing 6 other beds...so for 10 hours I had 12 eyes on me, watching my every move!

For those of you who aren't aware, all Indians have a staring problem! Its not like they stare and when you stare back they look away (like normal people) they continue to stare at you for seconds...minutes...even HOURS! It's not a malitious stare (usually) and It's just something I've had to deal with. Normally it doesn't bother me too much, but when I am hot and tired and sleeping on a wooden plank the LAST thing I want is to be stared at like I'm a zoo animal!

I've developed a game, mainly to keep my sanity, to cope with the stares. When they stare, I stare back...as serious as possible! When they look me up and down I look them up and down! Now if I were to play this game in any other country it wouldn't last long...but here...well it can go on for quite a few minutes! I've had many hours of practice and have become quite good :) However, this game doesn't work well on a train...where you are stuck for 10 hours with no where to go! It actually makes things more awkward and uncomfortable! -I found this out the hard way.

I arrived in Bangalore, the IT hub of India! My first impressions weren't so good! It was hectic, loud, smelly, expensive, and terrifying! My first reaction was RUN! Thankfully I didn't though! I met up with a friend of a friend, Catherine and had my first "couch surfing" experience! It was incredible! By the end of the week I felt as if I lived here!

As much as I hate cities, there's something comforting about them- at least while I'm traveling. There's almost always a guarantee that whatever you need can and will get done in a city. You can't always get that in small towns. BUT regardless, I don't think I could have stayed too much longer there! So now I am on my way to Mysore! A small town south of Bangalore. Fingers crossed its as good, if not better then Hampi!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment