Wednesday, April 25, 2012

mySORE headache

SO... going to Mysore I was expecting a quiet little town similar to Hampi. That's at least the impression I got from all the Bangalore locals who said they escape the hussle and bussle of city life in Mysore. My trip started off great (on an AC bus!) But quickly went south! Unaware that Mysore was NOT the last stop, and without the stops being announced I just assumed everyone was going to Mysore and I'd know when to get off! (This was not the case...) So somewhere outside of Mysore the bus suddenly stops, when they realize I am still on! and I'm literally thrown off the bus! So the mySORE headache begins...Thankfully it was a decent hour and not the middle of the night on some random road out of the city! I managed to get a rickshaw back to Mysore and settle in a decent hotel.
I then went out to explore a little and get my ticket to Cochi sorted so I could then relax. Well...relax is not a word I would ever associate with Mysore. At least not in my experience! No one would help me find the bus stand...they would just wag their head and point me in random directions! And so the headache just grew...as I managed to get lost in the small town of Mysore. On top of it all it was insanely hot and probably the loudest uncontrollable honking and shouting I've experienced in India so far! (That MIGHT partly be due to the massive headache I had since my arrival!) When I finally found the ticket stand I decided I'd already had enough of Mysore and would leave the following day to Cochin!

By the time the next day arrived my headache was almost unbareable! I couldn't wait to get out! But only in a place like India can you hate a place so much and in an instant fall inlove with it again! While I was waiting for the bus I stopped in at a cute little chai shop to read and relax. It was perfect! And had the nicest, cutest little old man who ran the place! I had peace and quiet, endless amounts of chai tea and great food!

As I got on my overnight bus to Cochin I was so relieved to be leaving but a little part of me was sad that I had such great expectations for a place and been let down! I think the best lesson learnt here is to have NO expectations! As hard as that is... Expectations leave room for disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment