Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ups and Downs

What I have come to realize most while traveling is that it is not always as happy and bright as one may think. As in life you have ups and you have downs. In order to have true happiness you need to experience the sadness, the loneliness, and anger. In my last few days in India I have experienced a mixture of emotions.

I went on a slum tour through one of India's largest slums, Dharavi. A city within a city. This shanty town was amazing to walk through. The organization of this slum was impressive! They had a recycling center, leather making center, residential areas and even a "main street" with shopping centers. Anyone walking through this area without a guide is surely to get lost! Seeing the children was what really got me. They seemed completely oblivious to the state in which they lived and made the best of what they had! They were happily playing cricket in the small bit of garbage fields with sticks and a rubber ball. And everyone of them were so excited to see us and speak to us, with huge smiles on their faces. Genuine smiles! The warmness in these smiles is one to warm anyone's heart. No one tried to sell us things, or beg for money as we walked through their homes either. It was truly an experience that pulls at my heart, and one that I will never forget.

While in Mumbai I felt it very necessary to go to a new release of a Bollywood Film. This was an experience in itself! Never have I been to the cinema where the audience is so engaged with the film. People were constantly laughing, whistling, screaming and clapping. Their energy alone made this a very memorable experience! The film itself was a little difficult to follow (since it was in Hindi-no subtitles) but for the most part I THINK I understood it :)

After a few days in Mumbai, I feel I have settled into the swing of Indian culture. I have become a lot better at crossing the street, and ordering my own food, as well as bartering. So off I went to Goa...to some beautiful beaches!

Goa was not as I expected. Figuring it's the Indian holiday season, I really didn't feel like being harassed by a million drunk Indians on vacation! So heading south seemed like the best idea for some peace and quiet. I managed to find a nice little resort on the beach. Since my arrival however, I didn't get one moments rest. If I wasn't being harassed by the locals, it was by the drunk Russians staying at the resort. I am constantly harassed by Indian men here, and I am slowly getting used to that. I can brush them off and walk away, but when they (the Russians) live in the rooms next to you its a little more difficult to avoid. Every time I tried to leave or do anything there they were slurring their words and making inappropriate comments. When I managed to get away from them all I wanted was a nice cup of tea, to sit by the beach and read. Well, just my luck...the resort seems to have run out of MILK! So no tea. No friends. No wine! This has probably been my lowest low so far. Feeling so alone, on a beach, with no one to talk to and no tea! Not the way I was hoping to spend my birthday :(
After what has been quite a low for me, I decided I wasn't even going to give Goa a chance. I packed my things and went into town to book a bus to Hampi. Once the bus was sorted I needed some healing...some delicious massala chai tea. Feeling slightly more positive that things will get better I am off to Hampi tonight, where HOPEFULLY there will be some foreigners my age. (Fingers crossed)

There will always be ups and downs, and getting through these downs is part of the learning experience. When I get to these points I just keep telling myself...I am in India...INDIA!! And already a small smile appears on my face :)

p.s. Anyone feeling the need to fly to India is more then welcome to join me...would love the company!


No comments:

Post a Comment