Friday, April 27, 2012

Waiting, waiting, waiting...

The worst part about traveling is TRAVELING! At least in India! In south east Asia it was the best time to meet other backpackers and bond, while being shuttled around like cattle in the middle of nowhere, in hopes of arriving at your destination. But here, in India, I'm alone. Surrounded by few, if any, tourists. It also involves a LOT of waiting...waiting for the bus/train to arrive, waiting for the bus/train to get fixed, waiting to arrive at your destination! I have become quite used to the uncomfortable aspects of travel in India. The constant stares (my game has definitely helped!) And the constant phots being taken -I have a "game" for that one too. I take pictures of people taking pictures of me or pull weird faces...unless of course they ASK for a picture, then ill smile like a normal person!:) There are some things, however, which I don't think ill ever get used to. Number one on that list would be the disgusting clearing of the throat sound followed by spitting that ALL men AND women in India do:s I hear that sound everywhere and can't help but cringe everytime! I even hear it in restaurants! Where are they spitting?? :s I also can't seem to get rid of that nervous knott in my stomach everytime I depart one place and venture on to the next! Not knowing where I will sleep, if my bag will be under the bus still when I get to the otherside, IF I will even arrive, and if I do I'm hoping it's at a decent hour. Then there's always the hassel of getting from the station into town and not knowing how much to barter a rickshaw to! Its all a lot to handle and when you're doing it alone...its enough to make you crazy! BUT I wouldn't give it up for a second! I love traveling and if that's the price I have to pay so be it!:)

And so here I am...sitting in a little cafe waiting for my bus to Munnar...alone, nervous, but excited!
(Still would be nice to have someone to travel and share these memories with!)

No comments:

Post a Comment